Chopard L.U.C Perpetual T Spirit of “La Santa Muerte”
Skulls, flowers, suns, guitars: Santa Muerte is admirably reflected through several fascinating motifs. In tribute to the culture of Mexico, Chopard introduces an exceptional new timepiece named the L.U.C Perpetual T Spirit of ‘La Santa Muerte’. Entirely hand-engraved by the artisans of Chopard Manufacture, its gold case and dial are adorned with motifs typical of the Día de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead), which is generally celebrated as this saint’s feast day. Inside it, beneath the death mask, beats a supremely sophisticated calibre: a perpetual calendar tourbillon with a nine-day power reserve. This one-of-a-kind model will be presented to collectors at the SIAR, the prestigious watch show held in Mexico City in October 2018.
Confirming its credentials as an accomplished, expert and versatile Manufacture, Chopard presents a one-of-a-kind highly complicated watch entirely hand-engraved in-house. After paying tribute to the cultural symbolism of the Chinese zodiac, Chopard is turning to Mexico and the syncretic traditions surrounding Santa Muerte. Stemming from the Aztec civilisation and tinged with Spanish Catholicism, the Día de Los Muertos – Day of the Dead – is a joyful celebration of the cycle of life, an occasion for renewed awareness of the possibility of death, which in turn gives full meaning to life. A day of remembrance, the Día de Los Muertos also provides an opportunity for gifts, offerings and libations to the deceased, and to cultivate the ties that bind families on either side of the final frontier.
This macabre fiesta celebrated through deliberate touches of parody provides a wealth of ornamental elements with which Chopard adorns the generous rose gold case of the L.U.C Perpetual T Spirit of "La Santa Muerte". Even the gold dial features the stylised Mexican Calavera skull, dotted with sun and floral-themed patterns. The tourbillon bridge appears as a moustache above a gentle grimace, and the perpetual calendar counters are sunny eyes. The very contours of the dial have been modified to trace the features of an emaciated yet inoffensive face.
The case of this exceptional timepiece houses one of the most prestigious horological combinations, featuring a perpetual calendar, tourbillon and a nine-day power reserve achieved by the four barrels of the Quattro system. By spinning constantly around its axis, the tourbillon releases the watch from the effects of gravity. The L.U.C Perpetual T Spirit of "LaSanta Muerte" has successfully undergone the stringent COSC test procedure, as confirmed on the dial by the Chronometer inscription, a noble attribute to which Chopard co-president Karl-Friedrich Scheufele is strongly attached.
The entire L.U.C 02.15-L calibre is thus entirely decorated by hand in keeping with the highest Fine Watchmaking standards. The quality of these treatments, along with the principles adopted in its construction and design entitle the L.U.C Perpetual T Spirit of ‘La Santa Muerte’ to bear the "Poinçonde Genève" quality hallmark, one of the most prestigious Swiss watch industry certifications. A hand-sewn black alligator leather strap with alligator leather lining lends a final touch of elegance to this finely crafted watch.
Chopard’s in-house approach to watch manufacturing
Chopard is a family business with a strongly ingrained philosophy of independence. The steps involved in making L.U.C watches are all performed at the group’s Geneva and Fleurier production sites.
Movement development, finished product design, gold smelting, case stamping and machining, calibre components, traditional hand-crafted finishes, surface treatments, polishing, assembly, adjustments and quality controls: Chopard masters the full range of watch production operations and applies them to each and every L.U.C watch. These exceptional timepieces stemming from meticulous workmanship meet the aspirations of the modern-day gentleman. They speak to him without artifice or pretention, through a subtle blend of artisanal expertise and emotions.
Chopard L.U.C Perpetual T Spirit of “La Santa Muerte”
One-of-a-kind model in 18-carat rose gold
· 18-carat rose gold
· Total diameter: 43 mm
· Thickness: 15.02mm
· Water resistance: 30metres
· 18-carat rose gold crown with hand engraving: 6.50 mm
· Caseband hand-engraved with motifs inspired by the Day of the Dead
· Bezel hand-engraved with motifs inspired by Mexican iconography
· Glareproofed sapphire crystal
· Exhibition back
· Mechanical movement with manual winding: L.U.C 02.15-L
· Number of components: 353
· Total diameter: 33.00mm
· Thickness: 9.35 mm
· Number of jewels: 31
· Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
· Power reserve: 216hours (approx. nine days)
· Four barrels –Quattro technology
· Tourbillon regulator, blackened stainless steel bridge with gilded screws
· Balance-spring with Phillips terminal curve
· Bridges adorned with Côtes de Genève motif
· “Poinçon de Genève” quality hallmark
Dial and hands:
· 18-carat gold dial
· Hand-guilloché outer area
· Central area depicting a hand-engraved black-varnished skull with mother-of-pearl teeth
· Perpetual calendar sub-dials (twin-aperture large date, day of the week and 24-hour indication, months and leap years)
· Gilded Dauphine fusee-type hour and minute hands
· Gilded baton-type hands for the small seconds, day and month, as well as the power-reserve display.
· Gilded triangle-shaped hands for day/night and leap-year indications
Functions and displays:
· Central display of the hours and minutes
· Small seconds and tourbillon at 6 o’clock
· Large date at 12 o’clock
· Perpetual calendar
· Power-reserve indicator on the case-back side
Strap and buckle:
· Hand-sewn black alligator leather strap, chestnut brown alligator leather
· 18-carat rose gold pin buckle, hand-engraved with motifs inspired by the Day of the Dead
Ref. 161941-5005 – in18-carat rose gold
One-of-a-kind model – Chopard Boutique exclusive
The price for the Chopard L.U.C Perpetual T Spirit of “La Santa Muerte” is Euro 232.000.