Czapek & Cie Place Vendôme Tourbillon Suspendu Ici et Ailleurs
The Place Vendôme collection, launched at Baselworld in 2017, has been enriched by a new and ultra- exclusive model: the Tourbillon Suspendu Ici et Ailleurs with special hand-engraving of acanthus leaves on the case and crown done by one of the top artists in her field, Michèle Rothen Rebetez.
The acanthus leaf, a classic in Roman art, was already featured on the limited-edition Quai des Bergues in platinum. The current version represents the epitome of this art on a watch case. The Czapek original design is inspired from the Assisi Cathedral paintings, whereas the technique comes more from the sculptures and bas-reliefs of the Cathedral of Orvieto, in Umbria.
The artist used a micro-hammering technique to obtain lots of detail and make the acanthus appear to stand out very naturally on the background. This effect is achieved by darkening the contours of the engraving, thus highlighting the delicate and precise work on the hand-mirror polished leaf, which reflects the light in myriad ways.
Finding an artist willing and capable of replicating this kind of workmanship on platinum was a challenge in itself. "Michèle did an extraordinary job, creating acanthus leaves that come to life from platinum, in a game of light and shadow”, says Xavier de Roquemaurel, CEO of Czapek & Cie. “We are delighted to have found each other. Michèle totally understood our approach to watchmaking. She represents the pinnacle of craftsmanship, which is also one of our founding values.”
The platinum dial of the Place Vendôme Tourbillon Suspendu Ici et Ailleurs with the acanthus leaf engraving is based on the collection launched in 2017. The dial is in champlevé with a grand-feu enamel ring that bears the Roman numerals. The fine fleur-de-lys hands are back, harmonizing with an anthracite bead-blasted main plate and suspended bridges of polished steel. The two characteristic Czapek subdials feature a tourbillon on the left and the second time zone on the right.
The new model is still driven by the proprietary, manually wound SXH2 movement developed with Chronode. It beats at 21,600 vph (3 Hz). A one-minute suspended tourbillon with a second time zone, a day/night disk – both running – and a 60-hour power reserve indicator complete the watch's features. The decorative elements include traditional satin-brushed bridges, circular bevelling, hand-chamfering, blued screws and the open-worked ratchet.
This exceptional timepiece illustrates outstanding craftsmanship. It is only available by special order in platinum or rose gold, making each watch a unique piece.
Czapek & Cie Place Vendôme Tourbillon suspendu Ici et Ailleurs with “Achantus leaves” engraving
Platinum or 5N rose gold case, Steel bridges, Enamel dial, Hand-made engraving on crown protectors
· Hours and minutes on separate dial located at 12 o'clock
· One-minute tourbillon located at 8 o'clock
· Second time zone on subdial at 4 o'clock, turns counter-clockwise
· Disk day/night indicator located at 6 o'clock, turns counter-clockwise
· Power reserve: Off centre disk, located at 12, turn on 90° on 60h, winding counter-clockwise
· Caliber SXH2: Haute Horlogerie proprietary mechanical hand-wound movement developed by Chronode and Czapek & Cie
· Power reserve: 60 hours with one barrel spring
· Frequency: 3 Hz – 21,600 VpH
· Diameter: 34.8 mm – 15 1⁄2 lines
· Height: 9.8 mm
· Front: anthracite ADLC sand-blasted plate, steel bridges with sandblasting, circular graining and polish
· Back: open ratchet with circular bevelling, sand-blasted bridges, blue screws, final “anglage” 'main'
Case & Bracelet
· 5N rose gold or platinum Pt950 case with hand-made "Acanthus leaves" engraving on both sides
· 43.5 mm diameter
· Curved sapphire crystal with anti-re ective treatment on both sides
· Sapphire crystal case back with anti-re ective treatment on both sides
· Water-resistance: 30 meters (3 atm)
· Alligator strap with 5N rose gold or platinum buckle
· “Grand-feu” enamel ring, steel polished bridges and sand-blasted plate
· Blued 5N rose gold fleur-de-lys hands
Special edition available only on order
The price for the Czapek & Cie Place Vendôme Tourbillon Suspendu Ici et Ailleurs is CHF 120'000 in Platinum and CHF 107'000 in 5N Rose Gold.