Doxa Stainless Steel SUB 300 COSC (Price, Pictures and Specifications)
53 years ago, in 1967, the brand established in Le Locle introduced a revolutionary diver's watch, the first ever to look past black or white and go for color – with an orange dial that was much easier to read and more practical in the darkness of the deep. A legend was born.
Bright days ahead: Doxa’s new model – the stainless-steel SUB 300 COSC – comes in 6 colours.
• With shorts and short sleeves or a full body wetsuit, it’s full colour all the way: The dial is not the only thing to come in different colours; the brand is also introducing matching rubber straps – a Doxa Watches first.
• 6 colours, 12 versions – turquoise, yellow, navy, silver, black, and of course the famous “Doxa Professional Orange” of the first SUB 300 that came out in 1967.
• Prestigious official credentials: COSC Certified Chronometer.
• A robust and reliable diver, rated to a depth of 300 meters (30 BAR, about 984 feet)
• An ultra-competitive price/performance ratio for a superlative array of quality features: CHF 2'490.00 for the version with the stainless steel “rice bead” bracelet.
• See Now, Buy now: Available starting today on the brand’s new website that offers an uncannily immersive experience into the World of Doxa.
• Doxa Watches celebrates a renewal in living colours.
Doxa SUB 300
In 1967, Doxa launched the revolutionary SUB concept, considered to be the first truly purpose-designed diver's watch for a broad audience. The radical innovations it introduced at the time quickly made it the benchmark for professionals, too. Rated to a depth of 300 meters (30 ATM), it was the first of its kind to feature a unidirectional bezel with dual markings for dive times and depths for calculating and monitoring no-decompression dives.
At the time, the US Navy no-decompression dive table was the be-all and end-all, enabling divers to first determine and then monitor the time they could remain at a predetermined depth and still ensure a safe return to the surface – without having to make a decompression stop on the way back up. Doxa engineers took the US Navy’s calculations and incorporated them into two separate scales on the bezel, one orange for the outer "depth" ring and the other black for the inner "time" ring – a Doxa patent.
The first to feature a bright orange dial, in daring contrast to the conventional black or white diver’s watches of the day, the instantly recognizable SUB 300 soon became a legend in its own time.
“Orangemania” takes hold!
Starting 1968, the SUB 300 became easy to spot on the wrists of divers jumping from the deck of the Calypso every week to take millions of TV viewers on the thrilling missions of “The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau” Team Undersea Odyssey". Already a living legend back then, Commander Jacques-Yves Cousteau – co-inventor of the Aqua Lung underwater breathing apparatus and spiritual father of modern scuba diving – was so fond of the SUB 300 that he secured exclusive distribution rights in the United States for his company, US Divers.
From 2015, the SUB 300 is available as a limited edition in only three dial colours with orange, black and silver.
Summer 2020: With flying colours!
• Orange Professional,
• Silver Searambler,
• Black Sharkhunter,
• Navy Caribbean,
• Yellow Divingstar, and
• Turquoise Aquamarine.
For the brand’s 130th Anniversary, Doxa Watches is launching the Doxa SUB 300 in 6 colours and 12 versions, all vibrant, bright, full of summer zest and ready for adventure. Not to forget the iconic “beads of rice” bracelet, also made of stainless steel.
The legend lives on…
More Than Ever True To Its Colours And In Tune With The Times…
Doxa Watches introduces rubber straps in colours for a tone-on-tone match with the dials, a first for its collections and a sporty alternative to the steel bracelet. Made from soft and supple rubber, these new straps come with the Doxa hallmarks on both sides and provide an amazingly comfortable fit.
Resistant to wear and tear and purpose-designed, the strap features a folding clasp with the “Doxa fish” symbol and comes with a diver’s extension for quick and fiddle-free adjustment over a wetsuit.
Thus, the 2020 edition of the SUB 300 remains true to its roots while embracing the times in which it lives. The rubber strap exudes not just a sportier but also a more urban vibe: an evolution that takes this watch concept into the future, with a high-performance material at the service of functionality.
Doxa has always taken great care in improving its diver's watches, in particular the most emblematic of all, the SUB 300. It is and always will be ranked among the very few diver's watches to have made a mark on Swiss watchmaking history.
Prestigious official credentials: COSC Certified Chronometer.
Precision, robustness, reliability: All the self-winding mechanical movements that power the SUB 300 undergo the rigorous certification process of the hallowed COSC (“Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres”), which guarantees the timepiece’s chronometric performance and scrupulous compliance with the highest standards in terms of precision, reliability, shock resistance, automatic winding and ease of maintenance.
This SUB 300 retains all of the hallmark technical features that created the legend.
The SUB 300 has a diameter of 42.5 mm and is water resistant to a depth of 300 meters for maximum freedom of undersea exploration.
Its scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, treated with an antireflective coating, echoes the domed plexiglass of the first SUB generations. The COSC-certified automatic movement ensures a power reserve of 38 hours.
All dive-related markings have a Super-LumiNova luminescent coating to ensure optimum readability during dives under low visibility conditions. The indices are clearly visible, as is the dual indication of dive time in minutes and depth in feet on the patented unidirectional rotating bezel for calculating and monitoring no-decompression dive times.
The inserts of the diving scale through the inner ring of the bezel are black, with a dot at 12 o'clock. The depth indications in meters on the outer bezel ring are in colour – either orange, yellow or blue – for visual differentiation, with a Super-LumiNova dot at 12 o'clock.
Doxa Stainless Steel SUB 300 COSC
· 821.10.351.10 (orange dial, stainless steel bracelet)
· 821.10.351.21 (orange dial, orange rubber strap)
· 821.10.021.10 (silver dial, stainless steel bracelet)
· 821.10.021.20 (silver dial, black rubber strap)
· 8126.96.36.199 (black dial, stainless steel bracelet)
· 8188.8.131.52 (black dial, black rubber strap)
· 8184.108.40.206 (navy dial, stainless steel bracelet)
· 8220.127.116.11 (navy dial, navy rubber strap)
· 821.10.361.10 (yellow dial, stainless steel bracelet)
· 821.10.361.31 (yellow dial, yellow rubber strap)
· 818.104.22.168 (turquoise dial, stainless steel bracelet)
· 822.214.171.124 (turquoise dial, turquoise rubber strap)
· Stainless steel - Diameter: 42.50 mm x 45.00 mm - Thickness 13.40 mm
· Crystal: Glass box sapphire
· Unidirectional bezel, lug width: 20 mm
· Stainless steel screw-in case back – Screw-down crown
· Water resistance: 300 meters, equivalent to 30 Bars, about 984 feet
Indications: hours, minutes, seconds, date
· Painted indices highlighted with Super-LumiNova luminescent material
· Hands highlighted with Super-LumiNova luminescent material
· Painted outer minute track
· Stainless steel – unidirectional rotation
· Outer ring: Diving depths in meters (orange or yellow or turquoise), Super-LumiNova dot at 12 o’clock
· Inner ring: Diving times in minutes (black), dot at 12 o’clock
· ETA 2824-2
· Mechanical self-winding, 3 hands, COSC Certified Chronometer
· Power reserve: 42 hours
· Frequency: 28,800 vibrations per hour (4.0 Hz)
· 25 rubies – with DOXA decorations
Bracelet:Choice of stainless steel “rice bead” bracelet with folding clasp, exclusive “Doxa fish”, symbol with diver’s extension for quick adjustment to wetsuit and black rubber strap or tone-on-tone strap (to match dial color) with folding clasp, exclusive “DOXA fish” symbol, with diver’s extension for quick adjustment to wetsuit
The price for the Doxa Stainless Steel SUB 300 COSC is CHF 2,450 for the version with the rubber strap, or CHF 2,490 for the version with the stainless steel “beads of rice” bracelet.