Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Quantième 41 mm (Price, Pictures and Specifications)
For nearly three centuries, the Grande Seconde has had one of the most unique designs in Fine Watchmaking. Its off-centre display combines a seamless view of the hours and minutes with the precision of a large second hand. The worthy heir of this original collection, the Grande Seconde Quantième now includes a 41 mm diameter.
Long-awaited by collectors, this new size was a chance for Jaquet Droz to take a fresh approach to several design elements. This makes the Grande Seconde Quantième 41 mm an authentic creation, and by no means is it simply a smaller version of an existing model. Everything, or almost everything, has been given a second look.
The redesign begins with the case itself, which is now 41 mm. It was thinned down slightly to make it lighter on the wrist and more compatible with its new diameter. This serves to preserve the proportions, and most remarkably the original piece's balance and modern feel.
New finishes were also specially developed for this collection. There is a wide range of Grande Seconde Quantième 41 mm watches with Grand Feu enamel dials, a long-practiced art Jaquet Droz has mastered and one of its most recognizable signatures.
The dials now come in ivory tones as well as and deep blue, burgundy and anthracite. Each shade was specially crafted for this latest collection, the result extensive research on enamel powders and hand-firing techniques to produce the exact colour variations desired.
The date is displayed at 6 o’clock with an 18-carat red gold applique. In addition to these four colours, there is also a matte black dial, a titanium gray sandblasted version and a last one in sandblasted silver. No fewer than seven models in all are being unveiled at once, forming an entire collection of Grande Seconde Quantième 41 mm timepieces.
Each distinctly different variation gives collectors a chance to satisfy their personal tastes. The first four versions with classic watchmaking aesthetics are on offer with the case, appliques and oscillating weight in red gold on an alligator strap matching the Grand Feu enamel dial. The other three feature a contemporary steel case suited for more modern finishes such as matching velvety soft calfskin straps and gold, rhodium-plated or coloured appliques that strike dramatic contrasts.
They include an openworked oscillating weight for optimal rewinding and an unobstructed view of the hand-assembled Jaquet Droz self-winding movement that ensures a nearly three-day power reserve (68 hours). Like almost all of Jaquet Droz’s modern-day creations, a silicon balance spring is used to control the isochronism and make the timepiece resistant to temperature changes, magnetic fields and shock.
With these seven new models, Jaquet Droz is ushering the Grande Seconde into the 21st century in the utmost of style while showcasing the novelty of a design with lines that follow every curve of its time.
Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Quantième 41 mm
Reference: J007020349; J007020350; J007020351; J007023200; J007023201; J007023202; J007023203
· Matte black dial or titanium grey sand-blasted dial or silver sand-blasted dial or Double level ivory Grand Feu enamel dial or Double level dark blue Grand Feu enamel dial or Double level burgundy Grand Feu enamel dial or Double level anthracite Grand Feu enamel dial, 18-karat white or red gold indexes with rhodium-plated applique.
· Stainless steel case or 18k red gold case.
· Pointer-type date display at 6 o'clock.
· Self-winding mechanical movement.
· Power reserve of 68 hours.
· Diameter 41 mm.
Movement: Jaquet Droz 2660Q2, self-winding mechanical movement, silicon balance spring and pallet horns, double barrel, oscillating weight in heavy metal
· Off-cantered hours and minutes at 12 o'clock
· Large off-cantered second at 6 o'clock
· Pointer-type date display at 6 o’clock
Jeweling: 30 jewels
Power Reserve: 68 hours
Frequency: 28,800 v.p.h.
· Stainless steel case or 18k red gold case
· Diameter 41 mm
· Height 12.10 mm
· Individual serial number engraved on the case-back
Water Resistance: To 3 bars (30 meters)
· Matte black dial or titanium grey sand-blasted dial or silver sand-blasted dial or Double level ivory Grand Feu enamel dial or Double level dark blue Grand Feu enamel dial or Double level burgundy Grand Feu enamel dial or Double level anthracite Grand Feu enamel dial
· Rhodium-plated applique
· 18-karat white gold indexes
· Rhodium-plated or blued steel or a grey treatment for the hours, minutes, seconds and date
· Date with lacquered red tip
Strap: Rolled-edge hand-made black or light brown calf leather or dark blue alligator or burgundy alligator or brown alligator
Clasp: Stainless steel or 18k red gold folding clasp
The price for the Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Quantième 41 mm is Euro 9,900 for the stainless steel versions and Euro 20,700 for the red gold versions.