Laurent Ferrier Galet Annual Calendar School Piece "Vintage" (Price, Pictures and Specifications)
After introducing in December 2019 the Galet Annual Calendar School Piece "Geneva Edition" (please read more about the watch here), Laurent Ferrier, a company synonymous with technical refinement and flawless finishing, unveils a new limited-edition, user-friendly annual calendar. Restricted to just 5 pieces and housed within a 40mm steel case, the watch is endowed with a contemporary vintage style dial.
A vintage inspiration
Inspired from rare vintage watches of the 1950’s and their matte champagne finished dials, Laurent Ferrier’s latest limited edition is endowed with a contemporary vintage style dial. Named vintage due to its inspiration, it is housed in a 40mm stainless steel case and features an opaline yellow gold toned dial.
The Genevan watchmaker has acquired much knowledge since his early studies in the 1960s. Throughout its history, Laurent Ferrier has enjoyed much critical acclaim. In 2010, the firm won the 'Best Men's Watch award' at the Geneva Watchmaking Grand Prix (GPHG). Thereafter, the company enjoyed further success at the GPHG in 2015 and 2018. The company's vast experience is manifest with each creation it makes.
A useful complication
The classically-styled Laurent Ferrier Galet Annual Calendar School Piece "Vintage" was designed in-house and embodies an array of qualities which distinguish it as special. The prevailing time is conveyed with curvaceous ruthenium Assegai hands. A snailed small seconds display resides above 6 o'clock, tastefully imparting meaning. Two bevelled apertures, positioned in the upper portion of the dial, proclaim the day and month, while the date is indicated by a white hand circumnavigating the periphery of the dial. The dial displays much information yet remains uncluttered and free of distractions.
As its name suggests, this watch is endowed with an annual calendar. This complication recognises those months with 30 and 31 days, automatically advancing to the 1st of the month as appropriate. The only occasion necessitating manual adjustment is once per year on the 1st of March. A push piece on the left side of the case provides a simple means of adjusting the 'day' display. All other adjustments can be made easily by pulling the crown and rotating it accordingly, obviating the need for tools.
Laurent Ferrier’s “Montre Ecole” or School Piece case
The School Piece case pays due reverence to a time when watchmakers converted pocket watches into wrist worn timepieces. The company's 'ball-shaped' crown proffers ease of manipulation and an abundance of eye appeal. The vertical flank of the crown features a domed circlet, a shape repeated on the sides of the graceful, arcing lugs.
The Calibre n°126.01 is at the heart of the "Geneva Edition". This hand-wound movement, comprised of 235 components, incorporates a Swiss lever escapement and is capable of running autonomously for up to 80 hours. The variable inertia balance features screws affixed to the rim of the balance wheel, providing an effective means of altering the rate. It delivers superior performance when contrasted to a simple index-adjusted balance and is highly prized by purists. A power-reserve indicator is positioned on the movement, visible to the rear of the watch. The company's iconic long 'blade' type click ratchet, much loved by the brand's owners, is mirror polished with a ‘rounded-off’ finish and evinces a resplendent appearance.
Emphasis on the finishing
Laurent Ferrier is renowned for matchless finishing. Each bridge is adorned with pristine Côtes de Genève decoration and ruthenium treatment. The mainplate is embellished with perlage. The sides and interior angles are manually chamfered. All jewel sinks and screw heads are painstakingly polished to a gleaming conclusion. There are no concessions to haste, everything is refined to the highest order.
The Laurent Ferrier Galet Annual Calendar School Piece "Vintage" is presented on a honey alligator leather strap with co-ordinating Alcantara lining, providing a sumptuous means of uniting the watch with its fortunate wearer.
Each example of this watch showcases the incredible expertise and skills for which Laurent Ferrier is known. Indeed, this is an expertise that has been amassed over many years and demonstrates the virtue of wisdom, something the opaline yellow gold toned dial stylishly encapsulates.
Laurent Ferrier Galet Annual Calendar School Piece "Vintage"
• Manual winding calibre LF126.01.
• Swiss lever escapement and balance screw.
• Indications: Hours and Minutes in the centre. Small seconds at 6 o´clock. Power reserve area indicator on the back side. Annual calendar: Calendar central hand; Day-disc and Month-disc (Automatic correction for months with 30 or 31 days. One correction on March 1st)
• Semi-instantaneous calendar. Days and month semi-instantaneous apertures.
• Correctors: Crown for winding, time-setting, calendar central hand and months. Push button at 10 o´clock for days of the week.
• Correction forward / backward of the calendar on intermediate position.
• Movement diameter: 31.60 mm (14´´´).
• Thickness: 5.80 mm.
• Frequency: 3Hz (21´600 /H).
• Power reserve: 80 hours.
• Number of components: 235.
• Number of jewels: 23.
• stainless steel
• Size: 40 mm diameter
• Thickness: 10.10 mm or 12.80 mm including the sapphire crystal
• Domed sapphire crystals, front and back
• Water resistant to 30 meters
• “Ball-shaped” crown in stainless steel
• Opaline yellow gold toned vintage inspired
• Vintage-inspired numerals painted in brown 1-30 and in red for 31
• Small second at 6 o´clock, with a circular satin brushed outer circle and snailed in the center
• Bevelled day and month apertures.
• 18K/750 210Pd white gold.
• Hours and minutes: “Assegai-shaped”, ruthenium treated
• Seconds: baton-type with counterweight, ruthenium treated
• Date: painted in white
• Honey alligator leather witch matching Alcantara lining.
• Pin buckle or a double blade folding clasp.
The price for the Laurent Ferrier Galet Annual Calendar School Piece "Vintage" is CHF 50,000.