Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935 (Price, Pictures and Specifications)
Longines revisits one of its iconic heritage pieces with a new version of The Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935. Testimony to the brand’s historic ties with the world of aviation, this chronograph is a reinterpretation of the Type A-7 model ordered by the U.S. Air Force in 1935. This new variation with a black shifted dial enhances the Longines Heritage line.
The Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935 pays homage to aviation's finest hours. Longines has been associated with the aeronautical universe and its pioneers since the beginning of the 20th century. For this new timepiece, the brand takes inspiration from a model ordered by the U.S. Air Force in 1935. In order to be designated "Type A-7” by the US Army so that it could be worn by its pilots, the watch had to meet extremely rigorous specifications in terms of aesthetics, durability and precision.
Faithful to the original model, the new variation of The Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935 sets itself apart with its black dial shifted 40° to the right. The particular orientation of the dial allowed pilots to read the indices without having to release the plane's control yoke.
To facilitate the handling of the watch in the air – even when wearing gloves – the fluted crown located at 12 o’clock enabled control of the different chronograph functions: power, stop, and reset, by simply pressing the single push-piece. Today, The Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935 adopts this unique design.
Its stainless-steel case with a diameter of 41.00 mm houses a column-wheel chronograph movement (L788.2) exclusively developed for Longines.
Adopting the specifications of the historic model, the matt black dial adorned with large Arabic numerals and a “train track” chapter ring, ensures optimal readability. This understated composition is decorated with elegant "cathedral"-type hands covered with Super-LumiNova.
Mounted on a brown leather strap, this new model of The Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935 complements a white lacquered dial version launched in 2016.
Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935
· Shape: Round
· Material: Stainless steel
· Glass: Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, with several layers of anti-reflective coating on the underside
· Dimension: Ø 41.00 mm
· Water Resistance: Water-resistant to 3 bars
Dial and Hands:
· Colour: Black
· Hour markers: Painted Arabic numerals
· Hands: Silvered polished hands
· Specificities: Swiss Super-LumiNova
Movement and Functions:
· Movement Type: Automatic
· Caliber: L788
· Movement Description: Self-winding mechanical movement beating at 28'800 vibrations per hour and providing 54 hours of power reserve
· Functions: Hours, minutes, small seconds at 9 o'clock and date
· Chronograph: Single-Push piece Chronograph
· Chronograph Functions: Chronograph mechanism: central 60 seconds hand and 30 minutes counter at 3 o'clock
· Material: Alligator strap
· Colour: Brown
· Buckle: With buckle
The price for the Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935 ref. L2.818.104.22.168 is CHF 3,250.