Mido Commander Gradient (Price, Pictures and Specifications)
With the Commander Gradient, Mido dares to embrace the unexpected, showcasing a watch mechanism beneath a gradient dial that shifts from smoky to clear. The gears can be seen on the dial side for the very first time, paying tribute to a formidable movement, the Caliber 80, which offers a power reserve of up to 80 hours.
The Mido Commander Gradient’s precise and clear- cut design reveals a series of contrasts: polished black on the bezel, satin-finished black on the case, and touches of bright orange on the indexes and hands in reference to the brand’s emblematic colour. Sophisticated and surprising, the latest model from this iconic collection will stand out on the wrists of those who live for speed.
The architecture behind the style
The instantly recognisable lines of the Mido Commander collection pay tribute to the inimitable silhouette of the Eiffel Tower. With a satin-finished case highlighted by a slender bezel, its round shape echoes the arches of the monument, while the rectangular indexes and hands, complete with polished metal bars, recall the tower’s iron lattice. This timeless aesthetics have stood the test of time for over five decades, as Mido has produced the collection continuously since 1959. Just like the famous Parisian tower, the Commander is a true icon: a symbol of Swiss watchmaking tradition and know-how.
Like a meticulously examined engine, the transparent dial of the Mido Commander Gradient immerses the eye in watchmaking mechanics. Adorned with an original gradated smoky effect, the dial becomes increasingly opaque around the edges while the date at 3 o’clock stands out perfectly against the aperture’s white background.
Just like dashboard indicators are clearly visible even at night, the polished hour indexes and the diamond-cut hour and minute hands are adorned with orange Super-LumiNova. The seconds hand is varnished in this same characteristic Mido colour, and instantly stands out against the smoky background of the dial. A faceted and domed sapphire crystal further enhances the readability of the display.
Mido has dressed the Commander Gradient in deep black with contrasting finishes and textures: a polished bezel and satin-finished case – both made from black PVD-treated steel – and a black fabric strap with orange topstitching and a folding clasp. Made from stainless steel with a screwed case back, the Mido Commander Gradient can accompany its wearer on the wildest of escapades thanks to its water-resistance of up to 5 bars (50 m/165 ft).
While the mechanism can be seen on the front, it can also be admired on the back through the transparent case back. Geneva stripes decorate the Caliber 80’s oscillating weight – a characteristic component of the automatic mechanism. Once fully wound, this movement offers a rare power reserve of up to 80 hours.
Mido is also presenting three other versions of the Commander Gradient: in steel or black PVD with a metal bracelet, or in steel and rose-gold-coloured PVD on a leather strap, like different roads to be taken at the wheel of a racing car.
Mido Commander Gradient
· Reference: M021.407.37.411.00; M021.407.11.411.00; M021.407.33.411.00; M021.407.36.411.00
· Movement: Automatic Mido Caliber 80 (ETA C07.611 base), 111⁄2’’’, Ø25.60 mm, height: 4.74 mm, 25 jewels, 21,600 vph. Finely decorated Elaboré-grade movement, oscillating weight decorated with Geneva stripes and the Mido logo. Functions: HMSD. Adjusted on 3 different positions for high accuracy. Up to 80 hours of power reserve.
· Case: Satin-finished stainless steel with black PVD treatment, polished bezel, Ø40 mm, 3 pieces, faceted and domed sapphire crystal, screwed case back, finely decorated Elaboré-grade movement visible through the transparent case back, engraved serial number, water-resistant up to a pressure of 5 bar (50 m/165 ft).
· Strap: Black fabric, orange stitching, stainless steel folding clasp with black PVD treatment.
· Dial: Acrylic, transparent in the centre and increasingly opaque (gradated smoky effect), polished applied indexes with orange Super-LumiNova, date aperture at 3 o’clock.
· Hands: Flat diamond-cut hour and minute hands with orange Super-LumiNova for enhanced legibility at night. Orange varnished seconds hand.
The price for the Mido Commander Gradient Ref. M021.407.37.411.00 is CHF 940.