Mido Ocean Star Tribute Special Editions
Since the 1930s, Mido has been renowned for the ultra-high performance of its timepieces’ water-resistance system. Dedicated to the undersea landscape, its Ocean Star collection is the most dazzling symbol of this technology. Launched in 1944, this family epitomises the brand’s watchmaking know-how and is now celebrating its 75th anniversary with the launch of the Ocean Star Tribute.
These two superb models make multiple nods to the diver’s watches of the 1960s. In Mediterranean blue or deep black, their sublime dials are protected by a box sapphire crystal and enhanced by a rotating bezel in the same colour. Their round, 40.5 mm-diameter cases and their supple, ultra-comfortable steel multi-link bracelets give them the magnificent retro look that was responsible for the success of the original models. These two Ocean Star Tributes are fitted with the Caliber 80, a cutting-edge automatic movement which provides them with a power reserve of up to 80 hours. In a final touch sure to delight lovers of detail, a starfish, the historical emblem of the Ocean Star, decorates the case back.
Built to withstand any storm, the Europa Point lighthouse watches over the Strait of Gibraltar. Its powerful beam of light is an essential point of reference for sailors approaching the shores of the Iberian Peninsula. Created in 1944, the Ocean Star collection evokes the safety and reliability of this robust, slender monument, the symbol of a structure guiding mankind in its conquest of the seas.
Seventy-five years after its first Ocean Star, Mido is launching a special edition series in homage to this iconic collection known since the 1940s for its unfailing water-resistance. These two new Ocean Star Tributes are a magnificent contemporary reinterpretation of the diver’s watches created in the 1960s. The size of their cases (40.5 mm in diameter), the ultra-resistant box sapphire crystals protecting their dials – in Mediterranean blue or deep black – and their steel multi-link bracelets give them the superb retro look that was responsible for the success of the original models.
The robust round case in polished steel is enhanced by a unidirectional rotating bezel with an aluminium ring in blue or black depending on the model. Several touches of Super-LumiNova on the bezel, hour-markers and hands ensure perfect readability whatever the diving conditions. The hour and minute hands are flat diamond-cut, while the seconds hand is varnished in orange, the Mido colour. An aperture at 3 o’clock indicates the day and date. The case back has a magnificent surprise in store: it is decorated with a polished starfish in relief, the historical symbol of Ocean Star.
While this retro design is an emphatic tribute to the brand's glorious past, the automatic movement that powers both of these Ocean Star Tributes makes these timepieces resolutely contemporary. Indeed, they house the Caliber 80, a next-generation automatic movement which offers a power reserve of up to 80 hours. This exceptional autonomy, combined with unfailing water-resistance, will appeal to water sports enthusiasts looking for a reliable timepiece that will withstand any conditions.
Supple and extremely comfortable, their steel multi-link bracelets are fitted with a folding clasp with diving extension to allow the wearer to precisely fit the timepiece to his wrist. Water-resistant up to a pressure of 20 bar (200 m / 660 ft), these two models come with an additional strap – in blue technical fabric or textile-look black leather – so they can be adapted to any occasion or desire. Meanwhile, aficionados of fine vintage pieces will love their design and naturally chic style.
Each of these special editions is presented in a bespoke case with its additional strap.
Mido Ocean Star Tribute Special Editions
Ref. M026.830.11.041.00 & M026.830.11.051.00
Movement: Automatic Mido Calibre 80 (ETA C07.621 base), 11½’’’, Ø25.60 mm, height: 5.22 mm, 25 jewels, 21,600 vph. Finely decorated Elaboré-grade movement, oscillating weight decorated with Geneva stripes and the Mido logo. Functions: HMSD + day. Adjusted on 3 different positions for high accuracy. Up to 80 hours of power reserve.
· M026.830.11.041.00: polished 316L stainless steel, unidirectional rotating bezel with blue aluminium ring, white Super-LumiNova dot at 12 o’clock, Ø40.5 mm, 2 pieces, box sapphire crystal, screwed crown and case back with polished starfish in relief, engraved serial number, water-resistant up to a pressure of 20 bars (200 m/660 ft).
· M026.830.11.051.00: polished 316L stainless steel, unidirectional rotating bezel with black aluminium ring, yellow Super-LumiNova dot at 12 o’clock, Ø40.5 mm, 2 pieces, box sapphire crystal, screwed crown and case back with polished starfish in relief, engraved serial number, water-resistant up to a pressure of 20 bars (200 m/660 ft).
· Polished 316L stainless steel, folding clasp with diving extension.
· M026.830.11.041.00: additional strap in blue technical fabric with white stitching
· M026.830.11.051.00: additional strap in black fabric-look leather with orange stitching
· M026.830.11.041.00: blue, with white Super-LumiNova on the indexes, day and date at 3 o’clock.
· M026.830.11.051.00: black, with yellow Super-LumiNova on the indexes, day and date at 3 o’clock.
· M026.830.11.041.00: flat diamond-cut hour and minute hands with white Super-LumiNova, orange-varnished seconds hand with white Super-LumiNova.
· M026.830.11.051.00: flat diamond-cut hour and minute hands with yellow Super-LumiNova, orange-varnished seconds hand with yellow Super-LumiNova.