Patek Philippe Ref. 5370P-011 Split-Seconds Chronograph (Price, Pictures and Specifications)
Apart from the minute repeater and the tourbillon, the triad at the pinnacle of the most elaborate horological complications also includes the split-seconds chronograph (movement No. 124’824); since 1923, it occupies a preferential position in Patek Philippe’s wristwatch collection.
The Ref. 5370, the first split-seconds chronograph endowed with the proprietary caliber CHR 29-535 PS was launched in 2015 with a platinum case and a black enamel dial. Coveted by connoisseurs, this grand complication has now been subtly upgraded with a new blue face with glossy finish that reflects Patek Philippe’s proud tradition in Grand Feu enamel dials. It is an oeuvre of unmatched chromatic intensity that is made by hand on the basis of an 18K gold dial plate.
The dial is superbly legible as befits an instrument with a decidedly technical personality. The hours and minutes are tracked by slender leaf-shaped hands with luminous coatings and applied Breguet numerals in white gold. The results of short-time measurements are readable with the same precision and speed: the sweep chronograph and rattrapante hands as well as the instantaneous 30-minute counter hand contrast as clearly against the blue dial as do the white-printed scales.
The two-phase chronograph movement with two pushers for the chronograph functions and a rattrapante pusher integrated in the crown at 3 o'clock is an impressive example of how tradition meets innovation. The classic elements of the basic architecture are the manual winder, dual-column-wheel control, and the horizontal wheel clutch. Nonetheless, it is a 21st-century movement endowed with extensive optimization details and patented innovations as well as an advanced rattrapante mechanism.
The elegant polished platinum case with a concave bezel and satin-finished flank recesses is worn on an alligator strap in shiny night blue secured by a platinum fold-over clasp.
As is the case with all of Patek Philippe’s platinum wristwatches, the new Ref. 5370P-011 is graced with a small diamond between the lugs at 6 o'clock. It replaces its predecessor with the black enamel dial, presenting a new combination of superb craftsmanship and watchmaking artistry.
Patek Philippe Ref. 5370P-011 Split-Seconds Chronograph
· Caliber: CHR 29-535 PS, manually wound mechanical movement, split-seconds chronograph with two column wheels, wheel clutch (horizontal), and instantaneous 30-minute counter, sweep chronograph and split-seconds hands, subsidiary seconds
· Diameter: 29.6 mm
· Height: 7.1 mm
· Number of parts: 312
· Number of jewels: 34
· Power reserve: Min. 65 hours with chronograph stopped
· Balance: Gyromax
· Frequency: 28,800 semi-oscillations per hour (4 Hz)
· Balance spring: Breguet
· Balance spring stud: Adjustable
· Functions: Two-position crown: • Pushed in: To wind the watch • Pulled out: To set the time
· Displays: Center hour and minute hands; Sweep chronograph and split-seconds hands; 30-minute counter at 6 o'clock; Subsidiary seconds at 9 o'clock
· Pushers: Chronograph start and stop at 2 o'clock; Chronograph reset at 4 o'clock; Rattrapante start and stop at 3 o'clock (pusher integrated in crown)
· Hallmark: Patek Philippe Seal
· Patents: Optimized toothing profile (No. EP 1437633 - 2009); Improved precision adjustment of mesh depth (No. EP 1947531 - 2009); Improved synchronization of clutch brake (No. MPM/DF/15484 CH - 2009); Piercing of minute-counter cam (No. MPM/DF/15483 CH - 2009); Self-adjusting hammers (No. MPM/DF/15482 CH - 2009); Hammers suspended between jewel bearings (No. MPM/DF/15481 CH - 2009)
· Case: 950 platinum; Sapphire-crystal case back and interchangeable solid platinum back; Flawless rare white Top Wesselton diamond between the lugs at 6 o'clock; Water resistant to 30 meters (3 bar)
· Case dimensions: Diameter: 41 mm; Height: 13.56 mm; Width between lugs: 22 mm
· Dial: Blue Grand Feu enamel on white gold, glossy finish; Applied Breguet numerals in 18K white gold; Scales for tachymeter and chronograph counter printed white; Leaf-shaped hour and minute hands in 18K white gold with luminous coating; Leaf-shaped subsidiary seconds hand in 18K white gold; Chronograph and split-seconds hands in steel, sandblasted and rhodiumed; Leaf-shaped hand for the 30-minute counter in 18K white gold
· Strap: Hand-stitched alligator leather with large square scales, shiny night blue, fold-over clasp in 950 platinum
The price for the Patek Philippe Ref. 5370P-011 Split-Seconds Chronograph is CHF 232,000.