The New A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin (Price, Pictures and Specifications)
The new Saxonia Thin presented by A. Lange & Söhne is a special white-gold version in a limited 50-watch edition. Its gently shimmering dial in solid silver is coated with black gold flux that contains tiny copper-coloured particles, which make the deep-black surface sparkle. A shiny black leather strap with a prong buckle in 18-carat white gold accentuates the radiant prominence of the timepiece.
The solid-silver dial, coated with subtly shimmering black gold flux, makes the new A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin sparkle on the wrist. But it takes a closer look to recognise the reason. Tiny spangles distributed across the deep-black surface reflect the light to produce a copper-coloured sheen. A shiny black leather strap with a prong buckle in 18-carat white gold accentuates the distinctiveness of the timepiece.
This rare black gold-flux version is a premiere in an A. Lange & Söhne watch. It follows a Saxonia Thin model presented in 2018 that was graced with a blue-red sparkling dial achieved with blue gold flux (please read more about this here). The production process for gold flux was discovered in Venice in the 17th century. It is a type of glass with copper constituents. While it is being heated, the copper forms microscopically small crystals. To attain a homogeneous surface, it must be cast onto the silver dial with extreme caution.
With slender hour and minute hands as well as applied baton-style markers, the dial of the A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin is reduced to displaying the time in hours and minutes. The narrow bezel of the round gold case gives the dial ample space and emphasises the unusual material. Thanks to the characteristic camber of the strap lugs, the elegant watch assures a snug fit on the wrist. With a case diameter of 40 millimetres, the two-hand watch is merely 6.2 millimetres high.
As for the movement, the Saxonia Thin offers everything that makes it a typical Lange watch. With a height of only 2.9 millimetres, the manually wound calibre L093.1, developed and crafted in-house, is the thinnest A. Lange & Söhne movement so far. Despite the compact size, it offers a power reserve of three days. Two-fold assembly and the artisanal finissage of the parts comply with the manufactory’s high standards.
Brand-typical quality hallmarks include the three-quarter plate with Glashütte ribbing as well as bevelled and polished chamfers. To achieve visual balance, the chamfer of the flat-polished end piece is manually finished to match the three-quarter plate. The ratchet and crown wheels are decorated with solarisation and visibly integrated into the plate.
Three screwed, manually polished gold chatons serve as bearings for the wheel train that transmits power from the mainspring barrel to the escapement. The freely oscillating screw balance beats at a frequency of 21,600 semi-oscillations an hour. It is located beneath the hand-engraved balance cock that carries the whiplash spring.
A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin
· Reference: 211.087
· Movement: Lange manufacture calibre L093.1, manually wound, crafted to the most exacting Lange quality standards, decorated and assembled by hand; precision-adjusted in five positions; plates made of untreated German silver; balance cock engraved by hand
· Movement parts: 167
· Jewels: 21
· Screwed gold chatons: 3
· Escapement: Lever escapement
· Oscillation system: Shock-resistant screw balance, superior-quality balance spring manufactured in-house, frequency 21,600 semi-oscillations per hour, precision beat-adjustment system with lateral setscrew and whiplash spring
· Power reserve: 72 hours when fully wound
· Functions: Time in hours and minutes
· Operating elements: Crown for winding the watch and setting the time
· Case dimensions: Diameter: 40.0 millimetres; height: 6.2 millimetres
· Movement dimensions: Diameter: 28.0 millimetres; height: 2.9 millimetres
· Crystal and caseback: Sapphire crystal (Mohs hardness 9)
· Case: 18-carat white gold
· Dial: Solid silver, black gold flux
· Hands and appliques: 18-carat white gold
· Strap: Leather, shiny black
· Buckle: Prong buckle in 18-carat white gold
The price for the A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin Ref. 211.087 is EUR 24,500 and is limited edition to 50 pieces.