The New Corum Admiral 42 Automatic Full Black (Price, Pictures and Specifications)
Born in the 1960s, the very first Admiral’s Cup model was an unusual yachting watch with a water-resistant square case. However, the Admiral collection that we are now familiar with, is actually an evolution of the Admiral’s Cup model redesigned in 1983, with its instantly recognizable 12-sided case and nautical pennants on the dial. Over the years, this collection dedicated to the world-famous regatta has not only become an integral pillar of Corum, but also one of the most iconic nautical-inspired timepieces on the market.
One of the most identifiable characteristics of an Admiral timepiece is the use of 12 nautical pennants as hour markers. These flags in fact conform to the International Code of Signals for indicating numbers using coloured flags, so each hour is represented by its corresponding pennant.
The latest Corum Admiral 42 Automatic Full Black is the complete opposite of its colourful predecessors, and a first-ever within the Admiral family of watches. It features the iconic dodecagonal case in black PVD-treated stainless steel, paired with a blackened brass dial. The nautical pennants, minute markers presented in greyscale tones to balance the austerity of the all-black design, while markers for the minute and small seconds are made visible using a tone-on-tone effect. For this spring season, Corum introduces colourful and flashy hour’s markers flags, in blue, red, yellow, green and orange.
According to Corum’s product development department, “The main objective is to go against the classic codes of watchmaking by proposing a trendy watch instead of a traditional case in steel or gold. In addition, Corum wanted to break the codes of its Admiral collection representing classic navigation. The nautical flags of this new Admiral 42 Automatic are coloured in different flashy tints.”
The Dauphine-style hour and minute hands are also skeletonized, given black PVD treatment, then filled with coloured SuperLuminova to ensure excellent legibility. Vulcanized black rubber straps with a black PVD-treated buckle complete the edgy look.
The original version, in “full black” of this Corum Admiral 42 automatic (please read more about this watch here), was created to bring this dark knight of a watch as mysterious, sporty yet intriguingly handsome at the same time.
The Corum Admiral 42 Automatic Full Black is powered by the automatic CO 395 movement, which provides 42 hours power reserve. It offers a water resistance of 50 meters. All variations produced in a limited edition of 100 pieces.
Corum Admiral 42 Automatic Full Black
· A395/04004 - 395.111.98/F371 BB12 – Light Blue
· A395/04005 - 395.111.98/F371 BO12 – Orange
· A395/04006 - 395.111.98/F371 BV12 – Green
· A395/04007 - 395.111.98/F371 BR12 – Red
· A395/04008 - 395.111.98/F371 BJ12 – Yellow
· Watch Name: Admiral 42 Automatic All Black
· Availibility: Limited Edition: 100 piece(s) each version
· Movement number: CO 395
· Winding system: Automatic
· Functions: Hour & Minute • Date • Small second
· Power reserve: 42 Hours
· Frequency: 4 Hz, 28'800 vph
· Dimension: 11 1/2'''
· Rubies: 27
· Colours: Black
· Material: Brass
· Distinctive features: Corum logo transferred on the dial • Nautical pennants transferred in light blue/ orange/ green/ red/ yellow
· Shape: Dodecagonal
· Dimension: 42 mm
· Thickness: 10 mm
· Case material: Stainless steel with black PVD treatment
· Crown material: Stainless steel with black PVD treatment
· Crystal: Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment
· Back type: Screwed in open back stainless-steel cover sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment
· Back finishes: Black PVD treatment
· Water-resistance: 50 meters / 5 ATM
· Hour and minute: Dauphine • Faceted • Skeleton • Black PVD treatment • Blue Superluminova
· Small second: Dauphine • Rhodium-coated • Faceted • Blue Superluminova
· Material: Vulcanized rubber
· Colours: Black
· Interhorn/Buckle: 21/18 mm
· Buckle type: Triple folding clasp
· Buckle material: Stainless steel
· Buckle distinctive features: Black PVD treatment
The price for the Corum Admiral 42 Automatic Full Black is USD $ 5,200 or EUR 5,200.